Our History

How it all began

1805

The story begins

Construction process of Cafe Batavia's building broke ground. The building was built in stages up to 1850 and was used as the VOC administration office at the time.

1990

The Art Gallery

Paul Hassan, a French native, purchased the building and turned it into an art gallery.

1991

The Cafe Establishment

Graham James, an Australian native, bought the building and decided to turn it into a cafe, Cafe Batavia.

1993

The Grand Opening

Cafe Batavia was opened to public for the first time.